Happy Friday, Miami! Here’s everything you need to know in town today.
First, today’s weather:
Humid with a t-storm in spots. High: 84 Low: 82.
Are you a local business owner or marketer? We can help you effortlessly run effective ads that reach customers in Miami. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories today in Miami:
1. International entrepreneur Sasha Krilov and global restaurateur Misha Zelman will open the doors of their newest joint culinary venture, Klaw Restaurant, on June 3 in the historic Miami Woman’s Club building. The duo made the announcement Wednesday. (Miami Patch)
2. The man behind the wheel of a BMW involved in a deadly collision in Miramar is now behind bars. According to the arrest report, Oscar Penaranda was going 104 miles per hour in a 45 MPH zone before crashing into a 2003 beige Toyota van about 8 p.m. on February 4 in the 11900 block of Miramar Parkway. (NBC Miami)
3. A Hialeah woman who police say shot at a food truck with patrons nearby was in court Thursday. 26-year-old Jennifer Hernandez was charged with five counts of attempted first-degree murder and is being held on no bond. (WPLG Local 10)
4. For its 2022 event, Wynwood Pride is looking to take things even further with a two-day music festival at the RC Cola Plant and a day full of activations. The headliners for the festival are Azealia Banks and Welsh pop singer-songwriter Marina. (Miami New Times)
5. Vale Food Co. is set to debut the seventh location of its Florida-grown restaurant brand in Miami’s financial district, Brickell. Helmed by CEO and Founder Sunny Ilyas, Vale Food Co attracts locals and visitors alike with its vast array of healthy and high-quality protein, açai and poke bowls accompanied by a full beverage and bakery selection. (Miami Beach)
From our sponsor:
Today’s newsletter is brought to you in part by Ring, a Patch Brand Partner. Whether you’re working from home or streaming your favorite movies, the new Ring Alarm Pro gives you an internet connection you can count on — while simultaneously keeping your home safe and secure.
To learn more about the innovative security system, or to build your own custom system, you can visit Ring here.
Today in Miami:
- Video Game Afternoons at Allapattah Branch Library. (3:00 PM)
- National Pizza Party Day at The Wharf Miami. (4:00 PM)
- Our Hidden Worlds Ribbon Cutting at Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce. (4:45 PM)
- Music Of Cuban Independence – Celebration of Jazz and Afro Cuban Greats at MDCA On.Stage Black Box Theatre. (8:00 PM)
- Ball & Chain Miami Boheme. (8:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- Join the Ocean Drive Association for a performance by the New World Symphony Chamber Ensemble on Sunday, May 22. (Twitter)
- Two men are behind bars in Miami-Dade County for their alleged roles in a shooting that took place earlier this year. Two men, Kevon Jinks and Howard Solomon, are facing charges stemming from a North Miami Beach shooting that happened on February 15 near Northeast 169th Street and Fourth Court. (WPLG Local 10)
- From January 2020 to April 2022, busy-hour data usage of the Verizon network in Miami increased 364%, the company said. During that period, more than a quarter of a million Verizon wireless customers moved to Florida. (The Next Miami)
- Last month, as a kick-off to the inaugural Miami Beer Week, the Gabriel Miami launched a new tour in collaboration with Miami Brew Bus, offering guests their very own beer concierge service. (Miami New Times)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Orchestra Miami closes its 15th Anniversary Season with An Evening with Wendy Pedersen (May 21)
- Best of the Best Music Fest (May 29)
- Add your event
Alrighty, you’re all caught up for today! I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow morning with your next update.
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com)…